Notes on 755 Hank Aaron Dr

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Andruw's ongoing waiver-wire issue

Get ready for some idle speculation!

I don't know what the deal is with Andruw, but he's been complaining the past two days about being placed on the waiver wire. He considers it a personal insult.

""I know they wouldn't do this with Chipper or Smoltzie," Jones said of teammates Chipper Jones and John Smoltz. "But they aren't in the situation that I'm in. They can say no to a trade.""

Now, Smoltz I can't speak for, but I distinctly remember Chipper getting put on waivers at least once in the past few years. Regardless, being put on waiver wire isn't that big of a deal, it happens to everyone.

The problem with this situation is that Andruw has taken it personally. I hope this doesn't affect his performance for the rest of the season, or affect his status this spring. The Braves have noone in the system to replace him, and I doubt they'd get fair value in a trade, even one that happened over the offseason. In a perfect world, I'd like him to resign when his current contract runs out (after next year, 13.5 mill). I love Andruw in Braves uni, and I hope he retires in one, having spent his entire career in it, and wears the A cap into the hall. He plays hard, and he can be counted on to make it onto the field, unlike the other Jones.

My expectation is that Schuerholz will, or already has talked to Andruw about the reasons for the waiver wire situation, if only to make negotiations easier in the future. The deadline to make a deal has passed, so, I believe, he will not be traded this year. There is a 48 window for the unnamed team that claimed him to make a deal, at the end of which, 1PM ET today, he is locked into his current team for the rest of the season.

Normally, none of this would be news, but some mediot decided to mention his name in one of their annual "look at all of the interesting playerson waivers" articles, and the thing snowballed. Also, there is probably a little unhappiness in the Braves clubhouse right now. If they were winning, Andruw would have been too busy racing his remote controlled cars to worry. It's funny how a little bit of getting your asses handed to you when you most need to win can crack the foundation of a clubhouse.

So I don't blame Andruw for voicing some frustration. He knows he (along with furcal and the late addition of my man Mccann) carried the Braves offensively last season, and may have wanted a little more responsibility/respect coming into this season, which I saw no sign of him getting. Like I said, none of this would have been a problem if the club had been winning, but with the season in the sh!tter Andruw may be feeling a little peeved that Chipper and Smoltz were given the public recognition as clubhouse leaders, when he's arguably more important than either, and is a lock to be on the field more than either.

I also don't blame JS. He did an OK job of getting a few relievers at the deadline, (though he could've gotten them a month earlier had he really wanted to win this year) and has achieved lifetime immunity from me at this point. Plus, he got rid of Sosa, which improved my life immeasurably.

Who's to blame?

Scott Boras.

Scott, get off your ass and explain to your player what's going on. You've done enough to hurt baseball over the last ten years, at least keep your clients happy. If this is part of some grand plan of yours to make Andruw unhappy with the A so that you can convince him to leave for Boston or the Yankees in a year, I hope that you enjoy that level of hell taking more joy out of baseball will earn you.

2 Comments:

  • Sorry, there are a few (3 i think) grammatical errors in the post. I'd fix them, but I can't figure out how to edit it. You'll all just have to suck it up.

    By Blogger Byrd, at 12:05 AM  

  • I saw an article on AJC.com about this, and thought it was much ado about nothing. It would have been crazy not to put Andruw on waivers - you never know when someone might decide to be stupid and offer way too much for him.

    I'd love to see Andruw retire a Brave. I'm not expecting it to happen, but I'd love it.

    By Blogger J Lεεds (oi!), at 7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home