Notes on 755 Hank Aaron Dr

Thursday, September 14, 2006

End of an era

It's been obvious for a while (since July or so, I'd say), but now it's official. The Braves string of division titles (either 14 or 11, depending on how you feel about 1994) is over. Note that however you count it, no other team has matched it in any major sport. Currently, only the Yankees are even within striking distance of the record, and they'll need to win either two more or five more in a row. Something tells me a lot of people will start counting the 91-93 divisions if the Yankees win next season....

Anyway, congratulations to the Mets and their fans.

Interestingly enough, the internet has made it easier for me to deal with the disappointment of not winning. Thanks to my time spent on various baseball websites (listed in the links to the right), I know people all over the world who are fans of other teams. So, when the Braves lose the division to the Mets, I know that Sam M. and Chris Dial are enjoying it. When the White Sox won the World Series last year, I knew that Vince was happy. When the Red Sox won, chris p and Phil Coorey were overjoyed. When the Astros beat the Braves last season, I knew baseball chick (that's what she goes by, really!) was having a great time.

And I know that they'll be happy for me and byrd (and Mac, and Sam H, and...) when the Braves win it all again, whenever that may be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home