Notes on 755 Hank Aaron Dr

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Coaching Changes

Well, one coaching change, at least. Fredi Gonzalez jumped at the first job offer he got, taking the Florida Marlins managerial opening. That's a step up, although I'm not sure how much of one. (Manager of completely dysfunctional franchise vs. third base coach of model franchise.)

I suppose it's possible that Terry Pendleton could be gone as well - there are three openings right now, including Washington. It seems likely that Girardi will get one of those openings, but I don't think that Robinson, Alou, or Baker are likely to be hired in any of those places. (Actually, I'm not entirely sure that Robinson or Alou really want to manage again, anyway. I think they'll stay in baseball, but probably in a role with less demands on a day-to-day basis.)

It should be interesting seeing how Bobby Cox fills this opening (or openings). After last season, I'm afraid to guess. Who saw Roger McDowell replacing Leo? Certainly not me...

Update: That didn't take long. Today's AJC(RR) has news of three new coaches, including Brian Snitker and Eddie Perez. Also leaving are Pat Corrales and Bobby Dews.

(And yes, I know there are a lot of people who want to blame Roger for the pitching staff's problems. I'm not one of them. No one could have turned Lance Cormier and Jason Shiell into quality major league starters.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home