Notes on 755 Hank Aaron Dr

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Who came up with this schedule? Delta?

After a weekend homestand, the Braves traveled to Washington for a two game series, which they split. Then they come back home for two games against the Cubs. Then, back on the road, for over a week. Is it just me, or have the schedules gotten weirder over the past few years? There seem to be a lot more two game series, and a lot more travel.

Anyway, like I said, the Braves split their series with the Nationals. That's frustrating, because the Nats really are not a good team in 2007. (They've made no secret that they're building for the future, and have no expectation of contending this year, and probably not next year either.) I wish I could tell you why they lost on Monday, but I missed the game entirely. And I missed Tuesday night's game as well. Man, I suck as a fan, don't I?

Last night's game does provide more support for my theory that Smoltz just doesn't have the stamina he used to have. He faded badly in the sixth inning. He wasn't helped by his defense (to say the least), but a couple of years ago, John gets out of that kind of problem. (Even today, I think he gets out of it if it's a couple of innings sooner.) But when he gets around 100 pitches, he just doesn't seem to be able to reach back for that "extra" he used to have. It's the difference between being a good pitcher and a great pitcher. And there's no shame in being "just a good pitcher" at 40 years old.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home